Preparing the Next Generation of Exercise Physiologists
Throughout UConn's 100% online, part-time, and asynchronously taught, MS in Exercise Prescription program, you'll take core courses that provide a deep understanding of the principles of exercise prescription. You'll learn about prescribing personalized exercise prescriptions in healthy populations, as well as for those afflicted by chronic diseases and health conditions. You'll develop skills to evaluate a person's overall health before starting an exercise program, and how to incorporate different types of exercise (aerobic, resistance, concurrent, neuro-motor, and flexibility) into exercise plans.
Additionally, you'll gain an in-depth perspective of chronic diseases and special health conditions and how to prescribe the F.I.T.T. (Frequency, Intensity, Time, Type) principle of exercise prescription to prevent, treat, and manage them. You'll also learn how to develop personalized exercise prescriptions to optimize health, increase physical activity, fitness, strength, endurance, and flexibility, and meet sport performance goals.
Further, our program teaches you how to recognize common medication classes and how they may influence exercise responses. You'll also learn how to perform a scientific systematic review on exercise testing and prescription considerations for populations with chronic diseases and health conditions, as well as healthy adults with special considerations.
Finally, you'll have the opportunity to reflect on the challenges of maintaining a regular exercise program and learn how to deliver an educational presentation on a special topic in exercise prescription using instructional design principles and effective presentation best practices through a culminating capstone project.
Drive Your Exercise Physiology Career with UConn
At UConn, we believe in providing our students with a comprehensive education that prepares them for a successful career in exercise prescription. With our expert faculty, cutting-edge research, and state-of-the-art course delivery platforms, you'll be well-equipped to take your career to the next level.
We are currently accepting students for the summer and fall terms.
MS in Exercise Prescription Courses
Core Courses (24 credits)
- KINS 5507 Fundamentals of Exercise Prescription (3-credit) *
- KINS 5508 Exercise Prescription for Individuals with Chronic Diseases & Health Conditions (3-credit) *
- KINS 5509 Clinical Exercise Physiology (3-credit)
- KINS 5112 Behavioral Health Considerations (3-credit)
- KINS 5511 Sitting is the New Smoking (3-credit)
- KINS 5594 Fundamentals of Conducting Systematic Reviews (3-credit) *
- KINS 5595 Special Topics in Exercise Prescription (3-credit) *
- KINS 5596 Capstone in Exercise Prescription (3-credit)
Elective Courses (choose 2)
- KINS 5530 Physiology of Stressful Environments (3-credit)
- KINS XXXX Lifestyle Medicine (3-credit)
- NUSC 5200 Macronutrient Metabolism (3-credit)
- NUSC 5325 Principles of Nutritional Assessment (3-credit)
- NUSC 5410 Clinical Nutrition (3-credit)
- NUSC 5600 Pathophysiology of Metabolic Diseases (3-credit)
- NUSC 5700 Precision Nutrition (3-credit)
- NUSC 6311 Regulation of Food Intake and Energy Balance (3-credit)
For course descriptions, please visit our Courses Page
* Courses marked with an asterisk are a part of UConn’s Exercise Prescription Online Graduate Certificate. All credits earned in the Exercise Prescription Online Graduate Certificate may be transferable to UConn’s Masters of Science in Exercise Prescription.
Summer Deadline: March 29
Fall Deadline: June 21
What They Are Saying
I am very happy to inform you that I passed ACSM-CEP. I highly recommend your program for anyone seeking to obtain ACSM CEP certification; it's a wonderful resource for exercise professionals. Thank you very much.
AL ANUTH (she/her), Spring 2022
Clinical Exercise Physiologist-ACSM
Exercise Prescription Graduate,
“I highly recommend the program to anyone looking to earn solid credentials in Exercise Prescription. UConn is very well known in the field. Having a graduate level certificate from UConn is no joke if you are trying to demonstrate your credentials to a prospective employer.”
IN THE NATION
The National Academy of Kinesiology (NAK) ranks UConn’s PhD in Kinesiology #3 in the nation.